Saturday, September 7, 2013

I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry

One of the most poignant and memorable of the Hank Williams contributions to music is "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry."  The song has that eternal classic sound one finds in country music.

Hand Williams wrote "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" in 1949.  His songs tugged at the heart strings, and this particular one is an example of it.    He had a troubled relationship with his wife, and this song came as a reflection of that relationship, the lonesomeness he felt growing through the conflicts he had with a loved one.

Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley and Bob Dylan all performed this song, that remains a standout favorite not just of country music fans but of fans of different genres, as it retains the flavor of yesteryear but always seems new in its evocation of simple feelings that which we can all identify.

The song is here, performed by Carol and Del Forsloff, the Oregon Meadowlarks


No comments:

Post a Comment